Practice Group: Land Use, Zoning & Redevelopment
Practice Group Leader: Chris J. Murphy, Esq.
- Represented developer in connection with approvals for an 11-story mixed-use building, including 343 apartment units, a 226-space parking garage, and a new performing arts center in Jersey City, NJ. The project will anchor the University Place Performing Arts Center District under New Jersey City University’s West Campus Redevelopment Plan.
- Represented institutional client in connection with approvals for a 120,000 square foot Class A warehouse in Newark, NJ.
- Represented developer in connection with approvals for a 40-unit mixed-use development in Newark’s Central Ward.
- Represented client in connection with approvals for a luxury pet hotel in Hillsborough, NJ.
- Represented client in connection with approvals for a Sky Zone Trampoline Park in Bergenfield, NJ.
COVID-19 Impact and Moving Forward: In April of this year, the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs (DCA), through the Division of Local Government Services (DLGS), issued COVID-19 Operational Guidance for municipal planning and zoning boards for operating and holding public meetings during the COVID-19 crisis. This was a game changer. While a few municipalities have been slow to adjust, most have taken advantage of the guidance and have developed highly successful virtual hearing protocols. We have seen a concerted effort by municipalities to work with developers to navigate these uncertain times.
We do believe that the commercial real estate market is fundamentally strong, and there remains a strong desire to complete new development projects. We expect to see an increase in activity in 2021. As it has been during this past year, the industrial sector will continue to be a source of growth in 2021, and if the newly-announced vaccines and improved treatments for COVID-19 prove to be successful, there will be increased activity in the hard hit sectors of office, retail and hospitality as well.
MSW’s attorneys have the experience to assist developers in navigating the complex entitlement process throughout New Jersey.
Murphy Schiller & Wilkes LLP is a boutique law firm specializing in commercial real estate and development matters. Headquartered in Newark, NJ, the firm was founded to provide effective, efficient, and creative legal services to meet the distinctive needs of our clients. Through the development of comprehensive legal strategies, our team works tirelessly to create a blueprint for success and advance our clients’ interests in every matter.